OLD BARNEY

OLD BARNEY

Sunday, June 12, 2011

THE COMMON SANDPIPER


SANDPIPERS ARE FAMILIAR BIRDS THAT ARE OFTEN SEEN RUNNING NEAR THE WATER'S EDGE ON BEACHES AND TIDAL MUD FLATS. THE COMMON SANDPIPER HAS A BROWN UPPER BODY AND WHITE UNDERSIDE. WHEN AT REST ITS WINGTIPS REACH HALFWAY BACK TO ITS TAIL.
SANDPIPERS ARE MOST LIKELY SEEN POKING IN THE SAND FOR INSECTS. UNLIKE MOST BIRDS, THEY ARE QUITE AGILE ON THE GROUND, AND RATHER AWKWARD IN FLIGHT. BRIGHT COLORS IN THE SANDPIPER FAMILY ARE ABSENT, THEY ALL WEAR VARIOUS COMBINATIONS OF GRAY, BROWN, RUFOUS, BLACK, AND WHITE, OFTEN IN INTRICATE PATTERNS.


SANDPIPERS FEED MAINLY ON INSECTS, WORMS, SPIDERS, AND SMALL CRUSTACEANS..............THANKS FOR STOPPING BY..........RIZZI

7 comments:

  1. I love sandpipers, Rizzi. Thanks so much for this post!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do miss the ocean and seeing the neat birds that are drawn to the water. :)
    Hugs!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aunt Riz, thanks for stopping by my post about Panicale - it was such a great day, and yes, you are right, I would love to spend more time there. Have you been to the beach yet this year? Sandpipers are so cute to watch on the sand - I love how they walk with such quick little steps. Hope all is well! Ciao, bella!xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love watching these birds my friend....always running about. Hugs for a great new week. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO lovely post dear Rizzi!!!!
    I always enjoy looking at the sea while coming here!!
    Much love!!
    Bela

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a neat post, those are cool birds. Do you live near them?

    Well, I have finally found your blog. Thanks for the comments that you have always given me when I post. GTG
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete