OLD BARNEY

OLD BARNEY

Saturday, February 4, 2012

STAR FISH/SEA STARS

STAR FISH ARE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS THAT CAN BE A VARIETY OF COLORS, SHAPES AND SIZES, ALTHOUGH ALL RESEMBLE A STAR.  WHILE SOME APPEAR SMOOTH, THEY ALL HAVE SPINES COVERING THEIR UPPER SURFACE AND A SOFT UNDERSIDE.  IF YOU GENTLY TURNOVER A LIVE SEA STAR, YOU'LL SEE ITS TUBE FEET WIGGLING BACK AT YOU.  THESE ICONIC MARINE ANIMALS ARE FASCINATING CREATURES.  







SEA STARS ARE NOT FISH.............ALTHOUGH SEA STARS LIVE UNDERWATER AND ARE COMMONLY CALLED "STAR FISH," THEY ARE NOT FISH.  THEY DO NOT HAVE GILLS, SCALES, FINS, OR TAILS LIKE FISH DO, SEA STARS HAVE TINY TUBE FEET TO HELP THEM MOVE ALONG.






SEA STARS ARE RELATED TO THE SAND DOLLAR, ON THE OCEAN BOTTOM SAND DOLLARS ARE MOSTLY FOUND TOGETHER.  THEY LOVE THE SOFT BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN, AND THEY LIVE IN THE SAND FOR REPRODUCTION.







SEA STARS ARE ALSO RELATED TO THE SEA CUCUMBER, ALL SEA CUCUMBERS ARE OCEAN DWELLERS, THOUGH SOME INHABIT THE SHALLOWS AND OTHERS LIVE IN THE DEEP OCEAN








MOST SEA STARS HAVE FIVE ARMS, BUT NOT ALL...............AMAZINGLY, SEA STARS CAN REGENERATE LOST ARMS, IF A SEA STAR LOSES AN ARM, IT CAN GROW A NEW ARM.  MOST OF THEIR VITAL ORGANS ARE IN THEIR ARMS.  IT TAKES ABOUT A YEAR TO GROW BACK.










SEA STARS HAVE A WATER VASCULAR SYSTEM........THEY DO NOT HAVE BLOOD........THE SEA STAR PUMPS SEA WATER INTO ITS TUBE FEET TO EXTEND THEM.  MUSCLES WITHIN THE TUBE FEET RETRACT THEM.




THERE ARE ABOUT 3,000 SPECIES OF SEA STARS









 THIS IS A CORNFLOWER SEA STAR......AS YOU CAN SEA IT HAS MORE THEN FIVE ARMS.
THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY.........................................................................RIZZI

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I have long admired these lovelies but never knew all these amazing details. Thanks for posting this, Rizzi! I was surprised to realize they were related to the sand dollar. Makes sense, though, now I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and great information Rizzi. I lave only found one sea star in Florida when walking on the beach. I promptly took it back to the water in hopes it could survives. I actually yell at people when they take live sand dollars out of the water, I think they think I am a crazy woman.
    Happy Sunday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some amazing creatures under the sea. I've never heard of a cornflower starfish. Very interesting information. Hope you are having a good day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. these photos are so lovely - all things I know nothing about and very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sand dollars and had no idea they were related to star fish. This is such an interesting post. I love learning about the ocean.

    It was so good talking to you the other day. Love you to pieces:)

    Kxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting my friend...I have learned so much from your post! Thank you.
    Hope your week is off to a great start! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I live so far from the sea I don't know very much about these creatures-so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love starfishes and sea stars! And I didn't know about sea cucumbers, what a funny name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I saw your blog on the website of Marion. So I came to visit you.
    I love the sea and all things that are in it!
    Congratulations on the job!
    When you can come visit me also: www.acessoriosbytelma.blogspot.com
    A hug and good week
    Telma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting facts! Thank you for sharing them!

    Have a great night!
    www.bellabliss.blogspot.com

    Ciao Bella!

    Bella Bliss

    ReplyDelete